Tuesday, May 22, 2018

~Embers~

trade memories
for moments
they're interchangeable
until you

the edges
slowly fray
heart to heart
and mend again

shined a
light on
a life
that's come
undone next
time visit
unpack stay
a while
longer left
a little
empty-handed

I wish
I could have
told you how
I felt
in that moment
when we
said goodbye
but I'll tell you
when you
come back

dusk has
begun to
steal  the light
of day
but I
can still discern
your heartwarming smile

the first
cup always
tastes like
your drinking memories
you sip
everything else
just follows
unfolding flowers
of steam

I spill
my coffee
with the motion
of the
street and laugh
"That's ok,
they're tie-dye pants now."

got to
look on
the bright
side you
shrug "If
you say so."
I say
do definitively
a little too
firmly like
I needed
it to be

if the
stars burn
out there
are only
embers to blame


~Sarah Mahina Calvello

No comments:

Post a Comment