Wednesday, October 24, 2018

~Watching Raccoons~


watching the
raccoons with
you I
remember leaning
out the
window laugh
trying to
be the first to
catch a glimpse

they climbed
up and down
the tree
slowly very slowly
carefully
curling in
curling out
falling like
nighttime gymnasts
blurring charcoal
fading into
the warm chill
of night
you shine
the light
on them
and they stop
transfixed eyes
shiny, reflective
beautiful in
the breathing
calling shadows

you say
they like light
I say
I never
knew they
liked light
but I
guess everyone
needs light

they emerged
from the trees
in the
dark shadows
bending underwater echos


raccoons giggle
when they're happy
then I
saw them again
one young raccoon
kept looking
back at
me with
wistful luminous
eyes as
if saying
goodbye
for now

everything has
to turn and change
nothing can
really change that
just try
to find
a place
where hearts
can collide

~Sarah mahina Calvello

No comments:

Post a Comment