Wednesday, July 8, 2015

~Umbrella~


Umbrella
it was gray and heavy
like a watercolor
blurred out
it kept spilling
and smudging
icy charcoal
from the sky

I was almost crying
I was cold
and falling apart
shivering
like a trembling sigh
alone
on the rainy street

then I felt a tap on my shoulder
or at least I think he did
I turned and he was there
old but still young
bent and gentle
he bowed to me
like a gentlemen
he told me to take his umbrella
his voice was like smooth, soft music
I couldn’t understand much else
I kept saying thank you
stumbling over words
he smiled and touched my shoulder
leaving me clutching his black umbrella
dripping water
shocked
thinking that this
was the kindest thing
to have ever happened to me
I covered myself
with the black umbrella
turned to make my way home
Bob Dylan’s
“Shelter from the Storm”
in my head
~Sarah Mahina Calvello~

No comments:

Post a Comment