Wednesday, July 8, 2015

~Neighborhood Coffee~

                               
neighborhood coffee
in the morning
poured into paper cups
with no sleeves
so you can feel the heat
vibrate through your fingers

a chocolate doughnut
still soft and round
I sit at a glass table
with a braided trim
chip piled in the corners
like colored glass
a mismatched mosaic
a old woman
sits reading
the datebook
gold filigree glasses
short, blond hair curling
around tan and taut skin
high cheekbones
rest in a calm smile

a dark blue padded mosaic coat
light blue flats and flower earrings
occasionally giving directions
where things should be
in the deli around us

I smile at her
and asked her if she was the boss
we talked and laughed for awhile
she told me with pride 
how she sent
her favorite turkey sandwich
to her son
and his children
and how she’ll see them again
at Christmas
lighting up 
when she mentioned
all the food
she didn’t have to make
she slowly got up
and put away  her paper
in her bag
 
she walked up to me
her brown eyes soft
as if afraid of how I’d react
so she took my hand
lily cold and trembling
like the flower
she smelled like

”When I’m here,
l’ll help you with
with your coffee"

she said
she’s usually here in the morning’s
although I’ve never seen her before
a beautiful bent blue fairy

“I’ll help you with your coffee anytime"
we stare at each other and smile
I watch her walking away
knowing this could be me
and I wouldn’t mind
living in this
calm, blue world
                                               
                                        ~Sarah Mahinaj Calvello~

No comments:

Post a Comment