Tuesday, August 4, 2015

~Stella~



his hard Italian face
softened
when I cried

blue
calm water
a moment
before it went back to rolling
again

when I held the body
of the starling bird I found
on the street
I was trying to save
it fell
from its tree

I wrapped
herin my sweater
she seemed happy

soft sights
and chirps
soft like sad happy
country music

at night In her shoebox
cuddling in tissues
to keep warm at night
        
          I held her
          as she fell
          asleep
          her eyes closed

         I kept asking
         what happened
         I fell
         and you finally got to catch me  
        
          she wouldn't chirp anymore
          when I woke up
           I held her neck up
          gently with my hand
          pleading
          my heart
          a cork screw
          twisting
          and pulling

          we buried her  
         together in the backyard
         even the wind
         blew gentle

         your blue eyes soft
         when you saw
         mine crumble
         happy to see
         a softer side of me
         you always said I was prettier When I cried
         
         you asked me
         why do animals
         die in my arm’s
         maybe it’s because
         I hurt
         with them
       
          ~Sarah Mahina Calvello~

No comments:

Post a Comment